Beetroot & Red Onion Herbed Ricotta Tarts
These lovely Summer tarts make a great starter to a meal and will tantalise your taste buds with their sweet, sour and earthy flavours.
- 1 roll puff pastry defrosted and kept in the fridge till ready to use
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp basil pesto
- 2 red onions, sliced into 2 cm rings (keeping the rings intact)
- 100 ml Rugani 100% Beetroot Juice Blend
- 1 tsp honey
- Pistachios for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180 ℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place a saucepan over low heat and add the Rugani 100% Beetroot Juice and honey.
- Carefully place the red onion slices in the pan making sure to keep the rings intact.
- Cook the onions in the beetroot mixture over low to medium heat until the juice has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and cool.
- Flour your kitchen counter. Using a circular pastry cutter cut 6 circles from the puff pastry and place on prepared baking sheet. Place back in the fridge.
- Mix the ricotta and pesto together in a small bowl.
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge and top with the ricotta and then a slice of the beetroot red onion.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the puff pastry is cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts and serve warm.