Caprese Bloody Mary Mocktail
Prep time: 15 mins
This mocktail is a twist on the traditional Bloody Mary. It takes inspiration from the freshness and mimics the style of a classic Caprese Salad, making it the perfect aperitif.
- 2 small mozzarella slices (or vegan mozzarella) – equal in size to that of a cherry tomato, cut 5 mm thick
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
For the Mocktail:
- Ice cubes
- Pinch of celery salt for the cocktail and 1 Tbsp to rim a glass
- 140 ml ZZ2 100% Romanita Tomato Juice
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto (store-bought or homemade – fresh is best)
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 3-5 fresh basil leaves for muddling
- On a wooden skewer, thread the 2 mozzarella, 2 basil leaves and 2 cherry tomatoes (alternating between each), until the skewer is full.
- Put the skewers on a plate and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice – set aside.
- Rim a rocks glass with a lemon wedge.
- Put celery salt on a saucer, and rotate the rim of the glass in the celery salt – set aside.
- In a shaker, add the basil leaves and the lemon juice. Muddle with a cocktail muddler or the back of a wooden spoon until the liquid is green and the leaves are well bruised.
- Now add ice to the shaker, along with the tomato juice, basil pesto and the pinch of celery salt.
- Shake vigorously, until chilled.
- Add ice cubes to the prepared glass.
- Carefully fine strain into the glass using a sieve, but not disturbing the salted rim.
- Stir and garnish with a Caprese skewer.