Chickpea Koftas with a Spicy ZZ2 Tomato Salsa
Prep Time: Overnight & 45 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
For the koftas:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight (you have to use dried chickpeas, canned chickpeas won’t hold together and your kofta will fall apart)
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- 50 g parsley roughly chopped
- 25 g coriander roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sunflower oil for brushing
- 8 Bamboo skewers sticks
For the tomato salsa:
- 200 g ZZ2 Romanita tomatoes, cut in half and deseeded
- 100 ml ZZ2 100% Romanita Tomato Juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salsa
- Place all the ingredients for the salsa in a food processor or blender and pulse until the mixture is chunky.
For the koftas
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight the day before making the koftas.
- Prepare a baking tray by wrapping it with foil and brushing with sunflower oil. Keep aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to your high-speed blender.
- Add spices and herbs, salt and pepper, and pulse until the texture resembles that of course bread crumbs.
- Place the kofta mixture in a bowl, and add the chickpea flour and baking powder. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the kofta mixture from the fridge and then roll them into cylinders about 4 cm long.
- Place the kofta in your hand and then shape it around the bamboo skewer till it forms a shape resembling a long potato.
- Place on the prepared baking tray and place over hot coals turning frequently to make sure they don’t burn. Cook for 10-15 minutes until brown and crispy.